Thursday, September 29, 2011

Bolt for the BSO Challenge

Dear blog readers,

Now that the BSO's season (and other ensemble's seasons that I am involved in) is in full swing, and my kids are all settled in their schools, and, after I spent many hours on the phone with a not-to-be-named company whose name starts with the letter V and finally got my phone and Internet service troubles squared away, I promise to write more often, like I did last season. To help me with that, I propose to you a unique challenge: if you donate $25 or more (and do feel free to be more generous:) to Bolt for the BSO (see more on that in a recent entry below) in my name, you will buy yourself a right to ask me to write a blog (not just 2-3 sentences, I promise) on any topic that you choose, music-related or not. I know, I'm really putting myself on a limb, but wonderful people that organized this effort are working so hard on this, and I feel like this is a great opportunity to help from my end in this unusual way. As soon as I see your donation (I get a notice of it right away), I will write to you and ask you to post your topic of interest on the blog (as an answer to this post), or send me an e-mail with a topic, and I'll write a response within a few days.

And speaking of the season being in full swing, don't miss this weekend's performances with Yan Pascal Tortelier, one of our favorite guest conductors, as he leads us in Sibelius' atmospheric Fifth Symphony (with a most dramatic ending) and Elgar's powerful Concert-Overture named In the South (as in Italy, which is the South to Britons). Cuban pianist Horacio Gutiérrez, who is an old friend of the BSO (we have produced several recordings with him under the baton of David Zinman), will play Mozart's opera-induced Piano Concerto No. 19 (make sure to listen for quotes from his operatic opus in the last movement!).

Check out this YouTube video of Tortelier, whose father was the eminent cellist Paul Tortelier, as a young and virtuosic violinist in a performance of the difficult La Tzigane by Maurice Ravel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15XGTHaJIu0

-Ivan Stefanovic

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I forgot to mention-those of you who donated before I wrote this are also eligible (you know who you are:)

    –Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our topic is "lessons".

    Love your blog ... keep writing!

    The Zieglar family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Response coming up...

    Ivan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely site you have a lot of useful information - and only manage to use! This is a very good server. He helped me in my work.
    Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Based on what I have heard this season, as well as Gatti's performances of Parsifal at the Metropolitan Opera, if he becomes our next music director, Bostonians will not exit Symphony Hall after a performance of a Mozart symphony until after midnight. To see more info please visit http://essayswriters.org/assignment/.

    ReplyDelete